* Ariba Inc. – rose as much as $4.20 after the close of trading (vs. regular close of $3.94). The software maker said its net loss for the second quarter ended March 31 narrowed to 19c a share from 59c a year earlier.
* AOL Time Warner Inc. – the media company’s America Online unit said 250,000 people switched to one of its high-speed services in the first quarter and its total number of subscribers fell.
* Altera Corp. – the maker of programmable semiconductors said its Q1 net income was 8c a share. It had been expected to earn 7c.
* Exelon Corp. – the electricity and gas distributor said Q1 net income was $1.11 a share. It had been expected to ear $1.06.
* Playtex Products Inc.- the personal-care products maker said Q2 profit will be 22c to 25c a share. It had been expected to earn 34c, as per average estimate of First Call.
* Timken Co. – the maker of industrial and automotive bearings said Q2 earnings will be 20c-28c a share, excluding some items.
* Intuit Inc. – rose as much as $37.18 in after-hours trading, vs. regular close of $34.79. The software maker said per-share profit excluding some items for the third quarter ending Wednesday will be at the high end of the $1 to $1.03 range.