* Smithfield Foods Inc. – fell as low as $18.50 in after-hours trading (vs. regular close of $18.82). The world’s largest pork processor said earnings will be 3c to 5c a share in the fourth quarter ending today.
* Teco Energy Inc. – fell as low as $10.55 in after-hours trading (vs. regular close of $10.62). The utility owner’s ratings on senior unsecured debt and preferred stock were lowered by Fitch Ratings.
* ABN Amro Hodling NV – the Dutch bank registered with the SEC to sell $4.13bn in securities.
* Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. – the house-wares retailer and DeVry Inc., a provider of college courses, are seen as promising growth stocks by William Blair & Co, Barron’s reported.
* Clear Channel Communications Inc. – the radio company is liked by Robert Lyon, CIO of Institutional Capital Corp., Barron’s reported.
* Loews Corp. – the insurance and tobacco company controlled by financier A. Tisch registered with the SEC to sell $1.5bn in securities.
* Citigroup, Credit Suisse Group, Merrill Lynch reach $1.4bn settlement with U.S.