* Amazon.Com Inc. – rose as much as $3.61 (14%) in after-hours trading. The world’s largest Internet retailer said its Q1 loss narrowed as sales rose 28% from a year earlier period.
* AMR Corp. – fell as much as $1.39 (34%) in after-hours trading. The parent company of American Airlines told its unions it will file for bankruptcy protection Friday morning if its flight attendants don’t accept revised cost-cutting concessions.
* Avaya Inc. – rose as much as 27c (9.9%) in after-hours trading. The biggest U.S. maker of office-telephone equipment had a loss of 1c a share before some items in the second quarter ended March 31. Analysts had expected an 8-cent loss.
* Openwave Systems Inc. – fell as much as 34c (17%). The software maker said sales in Q4 ending June 30 are expected to be 10% more or less than $63mio. Analysts expected average of $67.9mio.
* VeriSign Inc. – rose as much as $1.07 (11%). The computer-security company that maintains a database of some Internet addresses said Q1 sales dropped less than forecast. It expects $260mio to $266mio in second-quarter sales, less than the $269.6mio average estimate.